Monday, August 17, 2009

Thrash's role finally defined


Ever since Redskins special-teams warrior (and one of my personal favorites) was forced to retire with a neck injury during the offseason, the media has often suggested that he would be maintaining some sort of role with the team - but I could not for the life of me find out what that role was. He's been spotted at training camp multiple times, and I got the impression that the Redskins knew he was a good guy to keep around but just couldn't figure out what to do with him.

I finally learned from Larry Weisman on Redskins Nation today that Thrash has been given a "player development" role, meaning he is something of a life coach for the players, to generally keep them out of trouble, help them manage their finances to prepare for their inevitable departure from football, and so on.

I have never heard one negative word about Thrash and the fact that he has such universal respect among players and the organization probably means that he is perfectly cut out for this role. Although I'd love for him to have a job that was directly involved with football, I'm glad that it looks like he'll be sticking around. The Redskins will be better off for having him in any capacity.

No comments:

Post a Comment