Sunday, October 25, 2009

Some not-so-final thoughts on the loss to the Chiefs

First and 2nd quarter went up yesterday, and 3rd quarter a few minutes ago. Unfortunately I have a commitment that will take up much of the rest of the day, so I can't do the 4th quarter just yet. I might be able to squeeze it in tonight, but can't be sure. So I want to get these wrap-up thoughts posted now, with the understanding that I might change my mind when I have a chance to go over the last quarter.

- In the 3rd quarter at least, Collins did look noticeably better than Campbell, and I'm not just talking about that one deep pass to Moss. The results still weren't there, but its not because Collins was making poor decisions or missing throws. The receivers just weren't getting open. Campbell however, was even missing open guys and looked to be playing in a state of panic.

- Contrary to what I was expecting, the offensive line looked pretty adequate. To be clear, I don't think this reshuffled line is capable of holding up against a more competent defense, this was probably the result of the Chiefs weakness. But the point is that the pass protection was decent in this game, so the offensive problems can not be pinned solely on the line. Clearly, the QBs and WRs deserve a big share of the blame.

-DeAngelo Hall continues to confuse me. Once or twice a game he makes a very tough, physical, aggressive play, so I know he's capable of it. But then the rest of the game he appears soft.

- When will the local media realize that Kedric Golston is a major contributor to this defense?

- Portis is looking a little slow to me. In previous games this year he really had no holes to go through so I didn't want to blame him for his modest production, but against this weak Chief's line the run blocking was at least average. I think his multiple injuries have sapped a little bit of his burst, as he appeared slow to the hole on occassion.

No comments:

Post a Comment